Tempura Prawns & Vegetables
With Sambal Mayo
Serves - 4 People Preperation Time - 20 minutes Cook Time - 15 minutes
1/3 cup Kewpie mayonnaise
1 1/2 tsp sambal oelek
2L vegetable oil, for deep-frying
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cornflour
1/4 tsp bicarbourne of soda
1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
1 cup chilled soda water
200g small Gold sweet potato, thinly sliced lengthways
1 red onion, sliced into rings, separated
1 red capsicum, deseeded, cut into2cm-thick strips
1 bunch broccolini, halved lengthways
500g peeled green prawns, deveined, tails intact
Soy sauce, to serve
Recipe supplied by Woolworths.
For more great recipes visit their website in the link below
1. Preheat oven to 120°c. Line a baking tray with paper towel and place a wire rack over it. Place into oven. Combine mayonnaise and sambal in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large wok or saucepan over medium-high heat.
3. Meanwhile, sift flours and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk egg and soda water together in a jug. add to flour mixture and stir until
Just combined. (do not overmix; the mixture should still look lumpy.) add 3 ice cubes.
4. Carefully dip sweet potato slices, one at a time, into batter to coat, then lower into oil. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to rack in oven to keep warm. Repeat with onion, capsicum and broccolini.
5. Dip prawns, in batches, into batter to coat. Fry for 3 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve tempura with sambal mayo and soy.
Tip: to test that the oil is ready, drop a little of the batter into it. It should return to the surface and turn golden in 15 seconds.